Friday, November 23, 2012

  It was because she seemed such a wonderful woman in hernice moorland cottage way that at last sh

  It was because she seemed such a wonderful woman in hernice moorland cottage way that at last she was toldabout the Magic.
  "Do you believe in Magic?" asked Colin after he hadexplained about Indian fakirs. "I do hope you do.""That I do, lad," she answered. "I never knowed it bythat name but what does th' name matter? I warrant theycall it a different name i' France an' a different one i'
  Germany. Th' same thing as set th' seeds swellin' an' th'
  sun shinin' made thee a well lad an' it's th' Good Thing.
  It isn't like us poor fools as think it matters if us iscalled out of our names. Th' Big Good Thing doesn't stopto worrit, bless thee. It goes on makin' worlds by th'
  million--worlds like us. Never thee stop believin' in th'
  Big Good Thing an' knowin' th' world's full of it--an'
  call it what tha' likes. Tha' wert singin' to it when Icome into th' garden.""I felt so joyful," said Colin, opening his beautifulstrange eyes at her. "Suddenly I felt how different Iwas--how strong my arms and legs were, you know--andhow I could dig and stand--and I jumped up and wantedto shout out something to anything that would listen.""Th' Magic listened when tha' sung th' Doxology.
  It would ha' listened to anything tha'd sung. It was th'
  joy that mattered. Eh! lad, lad--what's names to th'
  Joy Maker," and she gave his shoulders a quick softpat again.
  She had packed a basket which held a regular feastthis morning, and when the hungry hour came and Dickonbrought it out from its hiding place, she sat down withthem under their tree and watched them devour their food,laughing and quite gloating over their appetites. She wasfull of fun and made them laugh at all sorts of odd things.
  She told them stories in broad Yorkshire and taught themnew words. She laughed as if she could not help itwhen they told her of the in- creasing difficulty therewas in pretending that Colin was still a fretful invalid.
  "You see we can't help laughing nearly all the timewhen we are together," explained Colin. "And itdoesn't sound ill at all. We try to choke it backbut it will burst out and that sounds worse than ever.""There's one thing that comes into my mind so often,"said Mary, "and I can scarcely ever hold in when I thinkof it suddenly. I keep thinking suppose Colin's faceshould get to look like a full moon. It isn't like oneyet but he gets a tiny bit fatter every day--and supposesome morning it should look like one--what should we do!""Bless us all, I can see tha' has a good bit o' play actin'
  to do," said Susan Sowerby. "But tha' won't have to keepit up much longer. Mester Craven'll come home.""Do you think he will?" asked Colin. "Why?"Susan Sowerby chuckled softly.
  "I suppose it 'ud nigh break thy heart if he foundout before tha' told him in tha' own way," she said.
  "Tha's laid awake nights plannin' it.""I couldn't bear any one else to tell him," said Colin.
  "I think about different ways every day, I think now Ijust want to run into his room." "That'd be a finestart for him," said Susan Sowerby. "I'd like to seehis face, lad. I would that! He mun come back --thathe mun."One of the things they talked of was the visit theywere to make to her cottage. They planned it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment